The Gitanyow Wilp Sustainability Director is responsible for coordinating the implementation of the Gitanyow Huwilp Recognition & Reconciliation Agreement (including the Gitanyow Lax’yip Land Use Plan). This includes providing support to the Simgigyet’m (Hereditary Chiefs) in assessing proposed land and resource development with direct application of the Land Use Plan Management Objectives, Targets, and Measures and Indicators. From small scale activities, to major projects, the Land Use Plan is the fundamental tool for assessing acceptability of proposed development in the Lax’yip (Territory).
The Gitanyow Wilp Sustainability Director is also responsible for coordinating the following initiatives:
- Early Engagement with Proponents (see Media Downloads for Early Engagement Form)
- Land Use Plan Monitor Implementation
- Fundraising for Wilp Sustainability Initiatives
- Implementation of the Gitanyow Carbon Credit Project
- Implementation of other initiatives flowing from the Gitanyow Huwilp Recognition & Reconciliation Agreement
- Co-Chair of the Joint Resources Council (a joint Gitanyow-BC Government council)